Friday, May 2, 2014

Draw the Line

Something about summer brings out the stripe lover in me, be it a nautical, a wild color mix or a bold graphic. Maybe I was a sailor in a former life...yeah, not really sure about that one. Stripes can be tough though. There's the fear of them making me look wide, or look like I'm refereeing my kids' softball game, or that I might look like an actual sailor (or just like I'm dressed in a ridiculous costume). I remember as a kid I had a great vertical black and white striped rugby shirt. Oh, how I loved that shirt, and it was purchased on sale at the end of summer, before the beginning of 8th grade. I was so excited to wear it, and loved every second of having it on...until one of my classmates asked me if I was going to call the boys' soccer game. That evening, the shirt went into the goodwill pile. To stay far, far away from the game ref look, I avoid vertical black and white stripes.

1/2/3/4/5/6

1. A traditional sailor shirt has been on my wish list for a very long time. This version from St. James is so chic and cool, and it works with white jeans (yes!), or even better, a white mini skirt. 
2. When I think of tote, Michael Kors Jet Set immediately pops into mind. Aside from the richly striped Saffiano leather, this multi-function tote has a center zip compartment, which makes organization a snap!
3. As I'm sure you've figured out, I'm lazy, but I like to look put-together and many times these two are at odds with each other. Problem solved with Trina Turk's Montecito dress, which makes the lazy person in me happy (just throw it on!), and satisfies my need to look like I have made an effort, simply because it's gorgeous. 
4. Equipment shirts were a staple of my mom's wardrobe in the 80's and they are quickly becoming a go-to in mine. The silk is so soft and feels fantastic. This tie-dye stripe provides just a bit of boho to any look.
5. Coach has been knocking it out of the park in the shoe department, this season being no exception. The Marci heel has captured the essence of the ankle-strap sandal, and the striped leather is so exciting! A major plus for me is the 2.5" heel height, which means I can walk in them all day.
6. Summertime date nights make me want to break out colorful clothes. Colorful striped clothes? Bonus! Nanette Lepore's striped dress will make the cut for the pool party, the beach party and the table for two with a votive candle.  

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment