Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Four Way Wednesday: Daytime Affair

It's the middle of the week, which means it's time to explore some options! Our third (fourth, maybe?) daytime affair is coming up next weekend and I'm trying to figure out what to do for this one. If it's not a garden party, daytime affairs can be tough, especially if there is a ceremony in a house of worship. For weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, christenings and other partly-religious shindigs, things to consider are whether or not your arms/shoulders have to be covered, if your skirt needs to be a particular length, and if, as a woman, pants are permitted. Oh, and my favorite: how dressy is this thing, exactly? You might think there's an easy answer to that, but trust me, you'd be wrong. One affair was on a boat and called for "first class attire". We debated if this meant casual, smart, dressy or otherwise. Final translation: cocktail.

So my arms will have to be covered in the synagogue, but after, all bets are off. And I mean that literally since the party is in the middle of the day. For a big party post-religious ceremony, I have seen dresses that range from work attire to red carpet, all at the same event. I am planning on wearing a sleeveless, high crew neck black Ralph Lauren Purple Label jersey sheath. But how to make it something more than just a "regular" black dress? Here are the four options I've come up with:
1/2/3/4/5/6

The Armani Collezioni dress above is nearly identical to my dress, except the one pictured has pockets, which is stellar. I adore a dress with pockets, especially an LBD with pockets. This look may be my favorite. Having a high neckline with a really bright statement necklace is so much fun and really spot on for a daytime affair. The clutch carries through the bright color theme, but you're not on the dance floor with it, so it's just a sweet addition. All the other accessories remain neutral (read: black) to keep the focus on the dress and necklace.
1/2/3/4/5/6

Black and white is a no-miss, as long as you make sure you're not dressed like the catering staff. The addition of this adorable moto-inspired jacket from Club Monaco along with pearls and fun graphic heels will keep me in with the party, not in with the wait staff.
1/2/3/4/5/6

A big cuff and fun earrings is another way to go with this silhouette. And gold and black is elegant and timeless. The sweater is a necessity for the synagogue, but I'll lose it the minute we leave. This look does skew a bit more evening with the addition of the Edie Parker clutch, but it's just divine!

1/2/3/4/5/6

While silver/platinum isn't usually my thing, I love this look from head to toe. The black dress will set off the sweet classic crystal strand from Bauble Bar and the fun Tarina Tarantino chandelier earrings. J. Crew's mirror finish heels are a great height for three hours of dancing (ok, maybe two before all of my girls and I are barefoot). And the holo clutch from Clare Vivier is delicious, and big enough for all the essentials. 

What's your favorite? Keep a lookout for my pick next Saturday on Instagram!



No comments:

Post a Comment